About Me

My photo
Here are my records of my attempts to make SOMEthing delicious out of NOthing. "When baking, follow directions. When cooking, go by your own taste." ~Laiko Bahrs

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Cooking for Fun or for a Profession? Plus: Warm Salad Recipe

The last time I posted, I wrote about how I could possibly be working in the kitchens at the golf course where I work. Well, I spoke with the executive chef, Dan, and my culinary dreams were given a reality check. First of all, on Sunday, a friend who recently graduated with a culinary certification explained to me what cooking in a kitchen is really like. Even though I believed everything she said I still wasn't sure if it would be as bad as she said it was. I talked to Dan the next day and he kind of gave me the low down on making cooking my profession. I greatly appreciated his honesty and his genuine concern about my future and the choices I made concerning the culinary arts. After I spoke with him I was extremely confused about what I wanted to do. He offered my a job in his kitchen for 16 hours a week and no less. Unfortunately, because I am taking 17 credit hours, I had to turn down the opportunity due to such a busy schedule already. Even though I can work in the kitchens next summer, I am still unsure if I really want to. Dan, the head chef, really wants to hire people who have a desire to go to culinary school. After I spoke with him, I wasn't sure about spending thousands of dollars to get a culinary arts degree, just to get paid 8 dollars an hour. On top of the low pay, chefs have to work an average of 10-15 days in a row and way over 40 hours a week. He basically told me that if I want to have a life outside of work, don't go into the culinary arts. Even though he was so blunt about the reality of becoming a chef, he was still understanding and encouraging concerning my desire to cook. He encouraged me to try it out and even go to culinary school for a learning experience rather than for a job. I still don't know what I am going to do next summer. Or for the rest of my life. But I know that it will all work out. And one thing I do know is that I can always enjoy cooking. If it's in the comfort of my own home or in a professional kitchen, I can still enjoy the pleasures of cooking!

My new favorite thing: warm salads. YUM. I have only made a couple in the last couple weeks but I am enjoying them thoroughly. The other day I made a spinach, apple, and onion warm salad.

The NOthing Inspiration: I had eaten half of an apple that morning for breakfast and there was a leftover quarter of an onion. I saw both of these things in the refrigerator and was wanting something fresh yet warm to eat. I wanted to use up the apple before it got brown and I adore onions. Even though apples and onions seem like a weird combo, I love how they compliment each other. Apples are sweet and tart. Onions are..well...oniony and sweet when sauteed. It sounded like a good combo so I got started on my creation.

The SOMEthing Recipe:

Warm Onion, Apple, and Spinich Salad

Servings: 1 serving (about 1 and 1/2 cups)

1/2 tbs. olive oil
One half apple diced
One quarter onion diced
2 cups slightly chopped spinach
1/4 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp. lemon pepper
1 pinch of red pepper flakes
1 pinch of salt
A couple turns on the ol' pepper grinder

After slicing the apples, onions, and spinach, add the diced apples to a small skillet with the olive oil. Let apples saute for about 2 minutes and then add the onions. When the onions and apples are browned and softened up (but still have a bit of a crunch), add the spinach. Stir frequently and add the rest of the ingredients. Serve with a broiled corn tortilla that is seasoned with garlic, salt, lemon pepper, and ground black pepper. Enjoy this SOMEthing made out of NOthing warm salad on a warm summer night with a glass of iced tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment